Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happiness is....

sometimes not found in our short-term activities, but in the long-term. Does that make sense to you? What I mean is that sometimes the actions you take today are not happy ones, but they are necessary for you to be happy in the long run. Say you are in a bad relationship. Leaving that relationship has to be hard and painful, but you know that the only way to be happy in the long run is to make the hard choice now. Like quitting smoking - it's so hard to do, but you know that the payoff is worth it. For me, recently, it was making the decision to not just gloss over my younger sister's bad behavior once again, but instead to say something to her and not back down. It was difficult. I was sick to my stomach about it and lost sleep, but I felt I had to finally say something or I was just enabling her to continue on her merry way. I hope that there will be a happy result in the future because I decide to take a stand - and will continue to take that stand with her. It can be so hard with anything - job changes, moving, relationships - to slog through the tough stuff - but you have to do it when the ultimate result is long-term happiness.

2 comments:

annie said...

Good for you for saying something. She sounds like she needs it, and you don't deserve to get walked all over.

Alacrity said...

I agree that it can be difficult to confront people the way you did with your sister. Sometimes the unpleasantness of it all is not worth it because they cannot hear you anyway. But other times, they do. Or they don't but you have the peace associated with speaking your mind.

Good for you!