Wednesday, June 10, 2009

It's Goat Day and other thoughts

Well really, it's Farmers' Market Day here. We just call it Goat Day because there are often little baby goats at the market. It's still too early for the really good stuff, but I enjoy going. Today I got some breakfast cookies - yum. I also got a cinnamon swirl loaf of bread to try at home - hope A likes it. And I got a container of broccoli in peanut sauce - thought it sounded tasty. I'll let you know. There are a lot of tomatoes and lettuce out. I saw beets -ugh - and cauliflower too. Me, I'm waiting for the zucchini and squash!

Today was also asshole driver day. Today was just my day for it. The worst was this red Chrysler that was weaving in and out of traffic on I-95 at something like 90 miles per hour. In general, I get annoyed at the people who believe that their rights trump yours and show it with their vehicular behavior. Like the people who block the box. Or the ones who find that waiting in the left turn only lane is beneath them, so they drive up in the straight-ahead only lane and then cut into the left turn lane at the last possible minute - or worse, make the left turn from the straight ahead land just as you are making your left turn from the left turn lane. Love them. Or how about the ones who just think that the Stop line is just for decoration and stop wherever it suits them, making it near impossible for you to turn onto that street. Or the "so what you are going straight and have the right-of-way, I'm turning left now because I want to" folks. And then there are the people who think that the STOP sign is merely a suggestion. Last, but certainly not least, are the ones who get in the left lane and drive slowly, blissfully letting a line of cars build up behind them. Okay - annoying driver vent over. I've been wanting to do that for a while.

In gardening news, my coreopsis are blooming. They are way tall. I have to see what to do about that. I guess I need to stake them. My peonies have all bloomed and are now starting to lose petals. The lilies are starting to bloom and I keep getting roses. I don't think I mentioned this previously - I went into the garage for something one day and in one of the pots I had out front last year, there was a mum growing. It had sat there in the garage all winter and with what little light it got this spring, started popping up. So, I planted it in the garden and it's thriving! What a nice surprise that was. My maiden pinks have been going great guns. I think I will move some of them this fall. They would look nice along side the fence. I do have a fern growing that I planted two years ago and my lavender plant is getting ready to bloom. The rosemary plant didn't make it through the winter. I didn't realize it wouldn't survive outdoors up here. Oh well. I'll find something else for that spot. I have had great luck at Home Depot with plants - go figure.

Last thing for the day - I should finish up a bib I'm making for the nephew at lunch today. It's an "A" bib - very cute and clever. Then I plan to do another garter stitch one where the colors will be the interest in it. Bibs are fast! As part of doing the bib, I learned how to make an I-cord. Much easier than I expected. Pics will be posted when they are done.

No comments: