Thursday, October 08, 2009

Getting Older and Ironic

So, yeah, I'm getting older. Physically anyway. Mentally, I still feel like I'm in my 20s. Sometimes I wonder if my "mental age" is impacted by the fact that I never made the transition to being a parent. Had I done so, would I feel older? I certainly don't think I feel the way that, in my head, my mother did at my age. It's kind of hard to be mentally young when my body is aging. You know - the knees aren't what they used to be. They don't hurt - they just look lumpier and saggier. I have grey hair on my head and elsewhere. I have wrinkles. And jowls sort of. I've actually done the thing looking in the mirror where I pull my face back to see how I would look if I got a lift! It would be good. My eyes were never very good, so them going worse doesn't really bother me. Heck, I've got some rather cute cheaters for reading that I got at Christmas Tree Shop! Losing weight is harder and that pisses me off. Then there's the whole hormone thing. As you age, your hormones mess around with you. I'm not in menopause yet. Don't know what I'm really in, but my hormones are a little whacked. Is that a result of the fertility drugs? Maybe. Whatever. The cure for my current condition? The pill. Not just any pill. THE pill. Yup, me, the infertile one - on the pill. Ironic, eh?

2 comments:

loribeth said...

Ain't it the truth!!!

Brenna said...

Send this post to Alanis Morrissette so she can see the real definition of irony. Also, I've been pulling my face back like that since I was in my 20s. And don't fall for a facelift, they never look right (though that Lifestyle lift might be ok).