Sunday, September 11, 2005

September 11, 2005

It's hard to believe that it's been 4 years. Today was a beautiful day, just like then. I was pretty much on auto-pilot that day. I spent the day trying to communicate with family, assuring them that my sister, who worked on the 89th floor of 1WTC, was okay. Getting in touch with my mother was the hard part. She was in Ireland. I desperately wanted to reach her before she saw the news. She was off sightseeing and we couldn't get hold of her. She saw it on TV. Some nice man let my uncle, who was with my mother, use his cell phone to call me. When I answered the phone he said "what's going on" to which I responded "who's this?" When I told him my sister was okay, I heard him relay the news. My mother got on the phone and all she was doing was crying.
Today, they had a mass in New Orleans for the FDNY. I know it meant a lot to my husband that they people there made that effort for them. I miss him so much. This is the first anniversary of the attack on which we have not been together. I would like nothing better than to be able to hug him right now. I feel good about what he's doing though. It's hard as hell to be without him, but I know he'll be home soon. Target date is 9/18!!! I can't wait to just have him in my arms and to be in his, to go to sleep listening to him breathe, to smell him, to touch him, to look at him. 7 days. I can do it.

No comments: