Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Lowering my expectations

Sometimes you just have to lower your expectations or you'll be in for a boatload of disappointment. I feel like I have to do that with my husband. He doesn't do much to help around the house unless I nag him. Then he'll go like gangbusters for a day, cleaning, organizing, etc. Then he'll fall back into his normal routine. I hate, truly hate, that I am responsible for so much at home. He mowed the yard like 95% of the time last year - but that is dependent on the weather and his schedule. Some years I've done it almost as much as him. After that, there are no chores where he is the primary "doer". It's me. I do the laundry. I do the vacuuming and dusting. I collect the garbage from around the house. I take out the garbage. I take out the recycling. I clean the bathroom. I unload the dishwasher. I do the tidying up - to the extent that we tidy up. And none of it gets done enough because I hate to have all my free time spent doing this stuff. With his schedule, A has more blocks of free time off than I do, yet he doesn't do anything with it. An hour or two spent on some housework on his days off and it would make a world of difference. He's not going to change though - he may promise - but I know better. He hasn't changed in 6 years - except to do less - so I need to stop expecting more. I probably won't though.

No comments: