Monday, October 18, 2010

Yarny goodness

I went to Rhinebeck this weekend - aka the Dutchess County Wool and Sheep Festival.  My purpose - to buy yarn.  I went armed with yardages for several different projects.  I didn't buy as much as I would have liked to buy - just could not find the right yarn for the Aran sweater I am planning for myself.  But, I did find some yummy yarn to make a couple of other projects - all for me!  Saturday night, when I got home, I was plenty tired and feeling a little disappointed in my results.  Sunday morning I woke up wishing for real that I had bought more.  I actually for a brief moment thought "I could go back today."  That was really a brief moment.  If I hadn't stayed for the Ravelry party, I don't think I would have been as tired at the end of the day.  But - I'm so glad I stayed for the Ravelry party because I got to meet someone I have known online for about 6 or 7 years.  Weird world the internet has created - isn't it.  It was cool meeting E.  aka Curlyknitter and meeting her friend M.  And the cupcakes were SO good.  And the swag bag was kind of cool too.  So,next year, assuming that UCONN football doesn't interfere, I plan to hit the festival earlier on Saturday, so that I can see more - we did miss at least one barn.  When shopping at something like this, I kind of need to go around and browse first, then come back and buy later.  That's why I need more time.  And maybe next year I won't be as awed by everything I'm seeing.  Sunday is probably an easier day because there are less crowds.  So, in the end I didn't find that special yarn for my Na Craga sweater, but maybe I will in the meantime and maybe that's what I'll be wearing to Rhinebeck next year - along with my lovely Clapotis that's going to be made out of what I did find this year.

3 comments:

Aims said...

I agree on all counts... great to meet Erin and her friend... need to go earlier next year... and wish we had more time to browse, make mental notes and then go back for a buying round. Rhinebeck lesson learned! Great to see you!

Unknown said...

It was so great to meet you and Aimee in person (FINALLY)! Yes, Sunday is way more low key and easier to maneuver. It's much more relaxed but if you are looking for a popular item, they will possibly be sold out by Sunday so that's where Saturday is good. Hope to see you next year!

Mary said...

OOOOOOH! A Clapotis! You know I like that!