Sunday, December 11, 2005

December 11, 2005

I went for another follicle check this morning. I'll definitely be going ahead with an IVF, but it's looking like there may be only 4 follicles. That's a bit of a downer. The first time we did it, they retrieved 15. Last time, where it was iffy whether or not I would have enough to make it to retrieval, I ended up with 6. Now, only 4. I know it only takes one. To a certain extent though, I feel like it's a game of percentages. With 15 eggs, there was a much bigger chance that I would get a lot fertilized and at least one or two would get to 8 cell grade 1 embryo status. With only 4 - who knows. I shouldn't complain though. I've read, on message boards that I frequent, of twenty-somethings who produced 20+ eggs and got no fertilization or ended up with poor quality embryos. It's possible, but the numbers are just a little disappointing right now. They are also confusing. Why one month did I produce 15 and this time only 4? I know that a lot of this is a guessing game. It's trial and error to find the protocol that produces the best results.
Oh - the other thing today - looks like my retrieval will be Wednesday or Thursday. I sure didn't expect it to be that fast. I guess the thing is I have one follicle that is leading the pack and driving things - so we're going by the size of that one.
So - what else is up? Playoff today in fantasy football. I'll probably get my butt kicked, but that's okay. I've had fun. I'm working on a sweater for my husband. I like knitting, but I tend to work on projects a lot for a week or so, then put them down for months. Maybe I'll finish this sweater before our 20th anniversary! :)
I suppose I'm going to have to get off my butt and do some Christmas shopping. I had hoped to maybe take Wednesday off to do it - but I may be otherwise occupied that day. Hmmmmm internet shopping may be the thing this year!

No comments: