Monday, June 20, 2011

I think this is bigotry of a sort

I heard what I think amounts to some form of bigotry on Friday.  It still has me thinking, puzzled.  A little background - I work for a town in Connecticut.  Connecticut allows same sex marriages.  There is no waiting period to get a marriage license in our town - just the time it takes to fill out the application and pay the fee.  Being relatively close to one of the state lines, we tend to get a decent amount of out-of-state same sex couples seeking to marry here.  So, apparently two women came in to get married on Friday.  Apparently they were both attractive women.  One of my employees saw them.  What still has me sitting here thinking "did I really hear that" was her comments.  She didn't understand it.  She thought it was a shame they were lesbians, because they were attractive.  She could understand it if they were ugly, but what a shame because they are pretty women.   I did not know what to say back to her.  I was just at a loss to understand her thought process, but she is of a different generation and culture, so maybe that's it.  I don't know.  I just sat there and thought "Seriously?"

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Yeah, it's funny how people react to the same sex couples. Why can't everyone just be happy for two people who have found each other and love each other. It's not an easy thing to find, and who are we to judge.