Monday, June 13, 2011
I am planning to knit a new top. I did a gauge swatch yesterday. This is the first time I did one wear I blocked the swatch. The pattern said to do it - and after my experience of my last top growing on me, I wasn't skipping that step. Important to note that the pattern for my last top did not suggest measuring gauge after blocking. How I wish it had. I haven't done a lot of swatching, but mainly because in a lot of my projects, gauge didn't matter too much - other than for making sure you had enough yarn. That lesson was enough to make me swatch from now on - and to always order more yarn than I need. You can always make something with leftovers. So, I knit the swatch and measured pre-blocking. I upped the size of the needle partway through my swatch, just in case the recommended size was too small. I figured that was better than having to go back and do a whole new swatch. Then, I soaked it and blocked it and this morning, measured the dry swatch. I'm so glad I followed the instructions to measure after blocking. Turns out the recommended needle size will work nicely. Hopefully before too long, I'll have a nice new top to wear to dress up jeans or khakis.