Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Time for a Boomer Post

I cheated on Boomer Sunday. He knows it too. I went to a friend's house for a Super Bowl party. They have a cute basset hound puppy. I let Bentley sit on my lap. When I got home, Boomer did the sniff test. I failed. He still loves me though.

A & I did a little teasing thing to Boomer a couple of times lately. I had been outside with Boomer when A came down to breakfast. Being a dog, therefore being vertically challenged and unable to see over the counter, Boomer couldn't see A sitting in the dining room. I told Boomer to go find A. He understood and went into the living room, then tore up the stairs and raced around the bedroom looking for A. He then came downstairs again, confused, then went to check the dining room. We did it to him a second time with the same results. Mean - I know. Today, I decided to try it again. Well - he learned from the last two times and did not go racing up the stairs to find A - he looked in the living room first, then went to the dining room. Gotcha! A was still in bed. I know - shouldn't tease the poor dog. He's such a love!

He gets so excited to eat his meals. It's kind of cute. But I wonder where it comes from. I think back to him being abandoned in a park and wonder if that poor little puppy thought he was never going to eat again, so maybe that's why he's so freakin' excited to eat everyday. Or maybe he just loves to eat. And he loves his treats. He sticks to me like glue when I'm leaving for work. It's not because he's sad at the prospect of me leaving him. I give him a treat when I leave. He loves these things. We have a little routine where he gives me his right paw, then his left paw, then he lies down and I give him the treat. You should see him start trying to give me his paw as soon as I approach the cabinet. And damn can that dog rush through pawpawdown - lickety split I tell ya'!

Anyway - despite the pain that it can be to suit up to take him out to do business in the middle of the winter with 6 inches of snow on the ground - I love the Boom Doggie.

2 comments:

annie said...

I didn't know he was an abandoned puppy (or maybe I did and I just don't remember). That's so sad. He's lucky to have you and A.

Kate B said...

Yeah - Boomer was a rescue dog. We got him from the Elmsford Animal Shelter. He had been found tied up to a tree in a park in White Plains. It breaks my heart to think about it.