Tuesday, October 14, 2008

When not even chocolate helps

What do you do when you don't even think chocolate will help?

There's kind of good news on my brother. My older sister spoke with him this morning. Yes, he has a gambling problem. No, it's not as bad as his wife is making out. He says the worst part about it was that he was hiding things. He is getting help. He recognizes that he has some issues - he has an OCD personality - and is working on it. My sister said he sounded really good - not fake good. It sounds like a very real possibility that they will get divorced and he's okay with that. He apparently has considered divorce in the past, so I think that is going to happen sooner rather than later. I feel better about his situation now.

Then there's my friend Patrick. He was in a weird accident about 4 weeks ago. He suffered a brain injury and has been in a coma since. It's not looking good. His girlfriend indicated today that he may die today or tomorrow - which I guess really means pulling the plug. This is a guy that is larger than life. He has such a big personality. He's the kind of guy that can wear a seersucker suit or madras plaid shorts and look great doing it. Just a fun person to be with, also an intelligent man. He got such a big laugh about the time I got mad at A for telling me he would be home shortly, then not coming home for 45 minutes. To me, shortly was 10-15 minutes. I think Patrick thought shortly meant by the weekend. :) Anyway, he liked to tease me about it. I did a cancer walk last year and he donated under the name "I'll be home shortly". Got to love it. I'm very sad that the world may lose this guy. I'm very sad that I'm going to lose a friend. I'm even more sad for his girlfriend, who is my friend, and for his kids. Chocolate is just not going to make it feel better today.

2 comments:

annie said...

How sad. Many (((hugs))) to you.

Kerrie callahan said...

K, I am really sorry about your friend. You are in my thoughts. I am glad to hear that about your brother though, thinking of you,Kerrie