- Don't make yourself too much at home. If eating, ask your host before eating anywhere but the kitchen table or dining room table. In fact, if there is a kitchen table, ask before eating even at the dining room table.
- Don't change the channel on the TV without asking, even if your host is not in the room.
- Don't be so attached to your electronic devices that they must always be plugged in and at your side. And for sure, don't leave them plugged in, then abandon them on the seating or eating surfaces.
- Your host should ask to take care of your outer garments, but if they don't, ask where you should put them. If a dinner is imminent, sure as heck don't leave your coat sitting on the back of one of the chairs at the table.
- If you are an overnight guest, be mindful of the bathroom situation. If you have your own guest bath - you're cool. Just keep it clean. If the bathroom situation is limited, think about timing of your shower, etc.
- If you are an overnight guest, when leaving you should ask what to do with soiled linens or you should remake the bed. If you removed things from the bed, replace them after remaking it.
- If you are a dinner guest and you offer to bring something, heed your host's instructions on what to bring. Do not bring food/drink items that you weren't asked to bring and expect them to be served. This is not to be confused with thoughtfully bringing food or drink items as a hostess gift that are intended to be consumed by your hosts at another time.
- Do not arrive early. Arriving on time, in my opinion, includes arriving within 15 minutes of the requested arrival time. Anything more than 30 minutes late is just plain rude.
- Offer to help clean up. Expect to be told no - in fact, you should be told no - but offer.
- Don't expect to be given leftovers to take home. Let the host offer. Showing up with plastic containers is not advised.
- If your host is falling asleep on the couch, it might be time to leave. Of course, it's rude of your host to be falling asleep on the couch when guests are still present.
Sunday, November 28, 2010
My attempt at being Miss Manners
I have some ideas on how to be a good guest that I want to share. Don't you just love it!