Monday, April 25, 2011

A book review of sorts - "Those Who Save Us"

I read this book while returning from Las Vegas.  It's one that was hard to put down.  It's the kind that when you are reading it, and someone wants to talk to you, it's really hard to fight the urge to say "leave me alone I'm reading" even if that person is the one you love most in the world.  It's that good.  The book is primarily about two women - a mother and daughter.  The mother is a German women and she gave birth to the daughter during WWII.  The book goes back and forth between what was going on with the mother during WWII and the daughter's life in the late 1990s.  You understand the mother more and more as you learn about her life.  And when it moves back to the daughter in the 1990s, you want her to learn about the mother's life.  You keep waiting for her to learn things.  And she does.  And all is good, but not all is neatly wrapped up.  That, I found disappointing.  At the end, I still had some questions about things that happened after the mother married and moved with her daughter to the US.  I wanted to ask some Was this ever resolved... and Did she ever do this...? I don't want to give anything away, so go read it.  It really is good.  I just wanted things wrapped up a little neater at the end.  And maybe the fact that they aren't is part of what made it a good book - still left some for the imagination maybe? 

No comments: