Tuesday, January 27, 2009

More snow?

It has snowed a lot this winter. It's driven me nuts - always snowing after hours and sometimes on holidays. It's killed our snow budget. So I figured that I would have a discussion of snow on my blog - educational even. You know how people say "it's too cold to snow"? Not true. It's never to cold to snow. As long as there is some moisture and a way to lift the cold air, you can have snow. And the bit when it rains about "well at least it's not snow" on the theory that 1 inch of water equals 10 inches of snow? Again, not true. Ten inches of snow can have as little as .1 inch of water and as much as 4 inches of water. National Weather Service records say that Rochester, not Buffalo, is the snowiest large city in the US, with 94 inches annually. 94 freakin' inches! I shouldn't complain about what we're getting in downstate NY. The most Phoenix has ever had is 1 inch. I think I may move there. In this part of the world, we get Nor'easters in the winter - kind of like a winter hurricane. They are dreadful. Blizzards have winds of over 35 mph, visibility less than 1/4 mile all for more than 3 hours. And did you know that there are different types of snow plows? There's the big V plow for really serious snow. They aren't used that often. Then there are straight blade plows. There are plows that are angled that are used to direct the snow a specific way, they may even have a curve on the top. So - now you know all about snow. You're ready for the next storm, which is coming in tonight.

1 comment:

dinap said...

I like your new random facts...I learn something new too. Keep them coming!