Thursday, March 24, 2011

Happiness is...

....mnemonics - or at least the "Things to be Happy About" blog said so yesterday.  But it made me thing about mnemonics.  I used to use them to memorize.  I would make up my own sentences to remember lists.  Sister Math taught us some good ones for calculus in high school.  SOH CAH TOA!  Sounds like something you would hear in a foreign language film during a fight scene - but it's the formulas for Sine, Cosine and Tangent.    Another was All Seniors Take Calculus.  Going counter-clockwise around the grid, it told you which function was positive in which quadrant.  Then there's "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge"  (Or Does Fine) for the piano scales.  And a favorite that I think every college kid learns some version of "Liquor before beer, have no fear.  Beer before liquor, never been sicker."

No comments: